RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index RotaryEngineIllustrated.com
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FUEL LINES IN WAY OF WATER PUMP REMOVAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RICCO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: FUEL LINES IN WAY OF WATER PUMP REMOVAL Reply with quote

My daughter just got a 1987 non turbo RX7, that has been shut down for one year, because on the last run from Tuscan to Safford, it started to overheat. It was shut down before it red lined. We hit the internet teck pages, put two tablespoons ATF in each spark plug hole, let it set for two days, cranked it up, white smoked the neighborhood for a few min. and the engine never missed a beat, smoothest sounding machine I've ever heard. BUT- on the pass side, at about 7 o'clock,back part of water pump, a little to the right of where the fuel lines hook to the engine, water was leaking. We took everything off, ready to pull the the water pump off and you can't because of the fuel lines. What do you know about a leak right there and whats the story about unconnecting the fuel lines to get them out of my way so I can pull the water pump? THANKS
Blake
Been there, done that

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused at what you're describing. First, are you talking about the Water Pump (WP) or the Water Pump Housing (WPH)? The WP is just the cast iron bit on the front of the housing, with the pulley and impeller attached. The WP fits on the much larger aluminum WPH, which is bolted directly to the engine. In neither case are there any fuel lines in the way. In the case of the WPH, you do have a coolant line attached, which goes to the dynamic chamber (the plenum on top of the intake manifold) and a Water Thermo Sensor screwed into the back. There are four small oil inection lines that must be moved, but that's about it...is that what you are seeing?
RICCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: 10-22 THAT LAST CONFUSING POST Reply with quote

After downloading and researching 11MB of RX7 teck info, I found out that it is not a fuel pump on the pass side of the water pump, like it would be for sure on my V8 Truck, the lines aren't even fuel lines, they are oil lines and the whole rig unbolts as one unit, making it easy to get out of the way for the removal of the pump and housing, no problem. The problem shows up when you look at the backside bottom at the rust streak stain that leads to a pinhole in the housing. The question of the day is: Since the kids are only going to be driving 4 miles to and 4 miles back each day, in a town with max speed limit 45 MPH, do you think I could get away with plugging the hole with some of that instant weld or iron, what ever you call that garbag, until May when they get out of college and since this rig has 175,00 miles on it, we plan on putting a rebuit in it, then I could put a new water housing on it then? What do ya all think my odds are of winning on that trip?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: