RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index RotaryEngineIllustrated.com
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter cars. RX7 for a noob?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> The Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Starter cars. RX7 for a noob? Reply with quote

Wow, this place is five minutes from deserted, but whatever. I'll be getting my first vehicle sometime this year, and I was wondering what a good rotary-equipped starter vehicle would be, if that's even reasonable.

After studying the mechanics at rotaryengineillustrated.com, I've found myself deeply interested in the rotary engine. I just think it's brilliant. Share your thoughts, could a new driver handle something like a Mazda RX7? Thanks in advance!
Jingyee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: FB or FC Reply with quote

If you are unfamiliar with rotary cars, as a starter car, which to me means youíd like to be able to fix it when necessary. I would recommend an early RX-7, a 1st generation RX-7(FB) or possibly a second gen FC. Unless you have a large wallet, I would not recommend the 3rd gen (FD) because it is a very high-maintenance car and they are in the shop a lot. There is too much crap in the engine compartment that mechanics think itís not worth the $ to work on them.

Where as if you had a first generation you would be able to easily work on it, and would not have to worry about leaky oil pans, pinging your engine, as much as if you had the a 3rd gen. An fc would probably be a good choice as well.

Or you could try the brand new RX-8, although do not know to much about the reliability of that car. Thatís just my 2 cents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jingyee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and they are also relatively cheap automobiles as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blake
Been there, done that

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a 1st generation RX-7 (aka FB) is the best way to get into rotary ownership. They are simple to work on and numerous enough that a reasonably nice one is still inexpensive. Buy the best one you can afford, because the clapped-out ones are just not work it, IMHO. Ideally, you would just buy an 84-85 GSL-SE model with the 13B fuel injected engine, bigger brakes, limited slip differential and all the other goodies. Usually when you buy a lesser model, you spend a lot of time and money trying to upgrade it to the GSL-SE specs, so you can save yourself a lot of agrivation by starting off with the better model. This isn't to say the other models aren't worth considering, but I would only settle for one in GREAT shape or a such a cheap price for the condition that it makes little sense to buy the better model. An average, good-condition FB should be around $1,500, with a really nice one going up to double that. Add $500 to get the price range for a GSL-SE. The clapped-out ones can be had for $500-$750, but I don't recommend them unless you are looking for a challenge.

If you want a NICE car, meaning much more modern, refined, comfortable and higher performance, for a bit more money you can buy a 2nd generation (aka FC) RX-7. Great cars, provided they are mechanically sound. The ones in bad shape can really drive you crazy, chasing electrical gremlins or whatever, but a nice one can be a very fine, reliable, classy daily driver. The earlier FCs (86-88; aka Series 4 or S4) are much more common but also suffer more electrical gremlins and such. The later FCs (89-91; aka Series 5 or S5) have more power -- both non-turbo and turbo models -- look better, and so forth, but they do have the annoying "mouse" style automatic seat belt that kind of suck. All in all, an S5 FC is definitely a better car than an S4 FC, IMHO, but there were so few S5s that the prices tend to be much higher that the differences seem to justify. If you have any intention whatsoever of running a turbo, do yourself a favor and buy the factory turbo model; don't expect to slap a turbo upgrade on the non-turbo model and save any money...much cheaper/easier to buy the turbo model. The turbo cars come with all sorts of upgrades to their drivetrain that could not be duplicated inexpensively. A nice FC is probably around $2,500-3,000, with the really cherry ones up to $5,000. You can get them for $1,500 and up, but the lower end ones, again, are sometimes more trouble than they are worth.
enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Starter cars. RX7 for a noob? Reply with quote

Surge wrote:
Wow, this place is five minutes from deserted, but whatever. I'll be getting my first vehicle sometime this year, and I was wondering what a good rotary-equipped starter vehicle would be, if that's even reasonable.

After studying the mechanics at rotaryengineillustrated.com, I've found myself deeply interested in the rotary engine. I just think it's brilliant. Share your thoughts, could a new driver handle something like a Mazda RX7? Thanks in advance!

hi. just a little advice on how to drive your first rotor.

if u plant your foot in a 12a (never driven a 13b) off idle it will feel like the most gutless thing u ever driven..but .. if the engine is ok..their is plenty G forces available from the stock 12a...if u have little money their is a cheap carby mod that can give you more power at the cost of fuel consumption (fuel prices are killing me 2...its $1.40 here per litre) i think they weld the butterfly thingy somthing like that but uses alot more fuel at full throttle
anyway good luck with it all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> The Round Table All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: