RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index RotaryEngineIllustrated.com
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of gas for an FD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> The Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jingyee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: What kind of gas for an FD? Reply with quote

I recently just acquired a rotary car finally, decided to get the fd.

Do i really need to use supreme, or am i fine using regular w/ less performance?

thanks in advance, wesley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blake
Been there, done that

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First...dude! Welcome to the party.

Second, Yes, you do need premium fuel at all times with your 3rd gen. "Premium" fuel is not any higher quality than regular, but it does have higher octane which translates to resistance to detonate (knock). As you well know, even a little detonation can be terminal to a rotary. Non turbo rotary engines (pre-RX-Cool can and should use the lowest octane fuel but the opposite is true for the turbo cars.
Jingyee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, thanks for the welcome,

when i drive it i don't really like take in to consideration the effectiveness of the rotary engine vs a piston, it just moves, but wow the car handles great. the integra is a joke now Razz

i'll bring it by tommorow friday, i need to use the vinyl plotter as well, and i got some banners/signs u might be interested in looking at, probably not just for advertising.

thanks again, i'll post some pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jmoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Just bought an RX-8...got a few questions... Reply with quote

I just got a 2005 RX-8. I have heard some discussion about problems with flooding the engine and recalls over the past year or so for other issues. Is there anyting I should worry about here? Also, you guys were discussing premium gas...is it really necessary...especially at these prices?

Thanks,
Jeff
Blake
Been there, done that

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought an RX-8...got a few questions... Reply with quote

Jmoe wrote:
I just got a 2005 RX-8. I have heard some discussion about problems with flooding the engine and recalls over the past year or so for other issues. Is there anyting I should worry about here? Also, you guys were discussing premium gas...is it really necessary...especially at these prices?

Thanks,
Jeff

Most of the RX-8 issues are just re-flashing the ECU to improve fuel economy and performance. The one major recall I'm aware of is relating to running high rpms continuously in neutral, at a stop. Not quite sure why anyone would ever do that intensionally, but I suppose they have to contemplate the actions of even the stupidest owners thanks to the current legal environment. For this, they install some additional heat sheilds and such. Not a big deal, IMHO. We have seen that when the motors do break, they tend to ruin a lot of parts when the fragments of apex seals get between the rotor and side housing, due to the chamfer on the rotor. Hopefully, the few we've seen are the exception and not the rule. It might be a good idea to get an aftermarket extended warrantee on the motors, just in case. If a lot do start blowing and the typical damage is extensive, the warrantees will soon go up in price or start excluding the engine.

High octane fuel is most definitely recommended due to the high compression ratio and agressive ignition timing. At least with "modern" ECUs, you may be able to get away with lower octane, as the ECU is probably able to detect knock and retard timing accordingly. You would lose power but, hopefully, not blow the engine. I can't guarantee that will work on an RX-8, so please only run low octane if high octane ("premium") gas is unavailable...and, then, only at your own risk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> The Round Table All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: