RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index RotaryEngineIllustrated.com
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idle problems 2nd Gen 90 vert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZooomX3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Idle problems 2nd Gen 90 vert Reply with quote

1: The vehicle is garaged and has 68K original miles, stock everything, new plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter etc all replaced at 68K. When first starting in the AM the initial idle speed (rpm) is between 2500 & 3000 RPM. After driving for approx 3 blocks the idle will come down to the normal 700 rpm range with clutch engaged.

2: When approaching a stop sign, when the clutch is pushed in, rpm will drop down to approx 500rpm then bump up to about 700rpm and stay there? is this normal?

3: At a stop either in nuetral or clutch engaged, if you turn on lights, or press on the brake the idle drops 100rpm from approx 700rpm to 600rpm and stays there until you either take foot off of the brake, or turn off the lights then the rpm bumps back up to 700rpm approx? is this normal?
GTChris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st off check and see that all grounds conections are clean.

2nd Do a voltage draw test on the battery, and check alternator.

The fact that the idle dips then rises indicated that all idle controll solinoids/valve are working normally, Most likely its a voltage issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blake
Been there, done that

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur

...always wanted to say that. Smile
GTChris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZooomX3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input... I will check out all of the grounds. **Battery is also new** I noticed on the wiring harness going into the bottom of the air flow sensor there is what appears to be a single bare wire inside of the protective jacket and seperate from the other wires??? The harness does not appear to have been tampered with and looks to be original and intact. Is this bare wire possibly a ground wire that has broken off? or merely just extraneous?

I do appreciate all of your prompt responses to my original and I am sure very simple question.
GTChris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as visually checking grounds, Unbolt them and check for rust ect. a little sand paper goes along way. adding grounds is also a good idea, the car will run smother.
ZooomX3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTChris... and the others. thanks for all of your input. GTChris... you mentioned something about adding grounds??? Can you elaborate on that?
gbowers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Idle problems Reply with quote

You need to adjust TPS using resistance method.

Adjustment of TPS can reduce hesitation and idle problems. Checking max resistance of TPS can also uncover problems with high RPM hesitations. This resistance method is a more precise method that using twin diagnostics lights or measuring voltage. Both inferior methods require you to insert key into ignition and turn to "ON" position; this resistance method does not require you to turn ignition on. double-lights method will not always give you proper single light on condition. Voltage adjustments can be skewed from a weak battery.

Your new battery and grounds should be fine given low mileage.
ZooomX3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things done to remedy this situation.
1. cleaned grounds
2. cleaned battery posts
3. new plugs and wires (done in the last 500 miles)
4. battery draw test (good) 1 year old
5. voltage test on alternator (good)
6. removed and cleaned bac (seamed to smooth out the idle)
7. checked voltage on TPS (within limits)
8. grounded and adjusted idle w/ac on to 750rpm's

All of these things did not change a thing, although by adjusting the idle with the ac on it did help it stay at the appropriate idle when either the lights or ac is on.

Still getting the rpm fluctuation when applying the brakes??? pretty much looks to me like it might be pointing to a vacuum leak somewhere.

I will be making and installing the the ground wire kit this weekend and replacing ALL vacuum lines including added hose clams where applicable ie: hose from the bac etc.

Anything I might be missing.
ZooomX3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

other than the "p" in clamps and various other miss spells!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: