Rotary Engine Illustrated Community
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rx8 front cover modification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rotary Engine Illustrated Community Forum Index -> Rebuilding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Rx8 front cover modification Reply with quote

I would like to front mount a Renesis engine.

Would it be considered acceptable (engineering wise) to take front mounts from a previous generation of engine or make new ones and have a welder weld them in position?

My concern would be thinkness of the front cover and whether it could handle the loads being transmitted like that.

thanks
Andrew
Spider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should perhaps say why I would like to do this.

I'm building a tube frame sports car like a Lotus 7.

The chassis triangulation points are at the rear and front of the engine and while traditionally people have placed the engine mount in the middle of the tube I think the structure would benefit by proper triangulation.

The factory mount is large and heavy and exits the exhaust into a footwell so I don't see the factory mount as suitable.

thank you
Andrew
Blake
Been there, done that

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be a "Locost 7" you're working on? One of those with a RENESIS would be amazing!

Let me take a good look at one of the RENESIS engines in the shop and get back to you. I don't recall off hand what the limitations are with respect to mounting it differently.
Spider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm building a Fisher Fury which looks like this once your finished

regards
Andrew
Blake
Been there, done that

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

I dug out an RX-8 front cover and took some pics for you, comparring it to an engine-mount type front cover (pre '86). There are some obvious differences, like the integral water pump housing, but by and large they are pretty similar to the earlier stuff. I don't see any reason you could not fabricate a front-mount setup using the RENESIS front cover, but it obviously requires some ability not to warp it or whatnot. The thickness of the material seems about "normal" for a front cover of any vesion, though obviously lacking the mounting pads. No prominent protrusions, like on the 86-89 front covers, either.

Frankly, if I were in your position, I would re-engineer the chassis for the stock engine mounting system (there are reasons Mazda moved it progressively backwards over the years). Any structural issues should be addressed independent of the engine, in my opinion. Just a suggestion. The car would be really cool, regardless!

Do you have any links to web sites on the car? I'd love to do something like that myself and it certainly is more visually appealing than a sevenesque car.
Spider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thank you for that.

There are quite a few web sites and the English like to put big bike engines in them.

The main site is http://www.fishersportscars.co.uk/

The build site is http://build.fishersportscars.co.uk/

The USA site is http://www.furyous.org/ but I can never get the
forum to work. I'm not sure if its me or the script on their site is no good.

regards
Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rotary Engine Illustrated Community Forum Index -> Rebuilding All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: