RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index RotaryEngineIllustrated.com
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a fast stock 12A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> Rebuilding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Building a fast stock 12A Reply with quote

I race a 1st Gen. RX-7 in a spec. class in Southern California. Iím going to build a 12A race motor for the 2006 season. My class (Pro-7) only allows blueprinting and balancing. We are also allowed to use carbon apex seals. I had a short phone discussion with Rob at Pineapple Racing about building the motor. I built my first rotary motor for the 2003 season. The motor finally quit on me for my last race on Oct. 28, 2005. I havenít taken the broken motor apart yet, but all indications are that the rear rotor bearing might have spun.

The 2003 motor was built with carbon apex seals. However after talking to Rob at Pineapple Racing, he said I should build one using steel apex seals because they tend to allow the motor to produce more torque. He said I could tweak the apex seal springs to help reduce seal chatter at the higher RPMís. I normally shifted gears at around 8,000rpm. However Rob said 7,100rpm is where a stock motor will peak. However at times during the heat of battle I would rev it 8,100 - 8,300rpm if I was fender to fender with someone and not having to shift would help keep my advantage. I'm intrested in the extra torque offered by steel seals, but concerned about being able to rev the motor at a higher RPM if the heat of battle requires it.

Iím not familiar with the two piece configuration of the steel seals since the first motor was put together with one piece carbon seals. Rob mentioned the two piece steel seals come glued together and there is a method of turning the engine before startup so that the seals come apart properly. Unfortunately I didnít have a pad to write down exactly what Rob was saying and was wondering of someone could elaborate on the procedure.

Also he mentioned that I should look for good end housings. How do I identify a ďgoodĒ end housing? Do I just follow the procedure mentioned in the factory manual and use a straight edge to measure the contact surface for trueness? I had the cast iron housings lapped on my previous motor. Would this be a good practice on the new motor I build?
Jingyee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestingly enough I just put a article on examining rotor housings rlara.

although yes, you still will want to have your spec book with you when measuring pieces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rlara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were can I find that article. I performed a search for rotary housings, but nothing came up.

Do you have an opnion as to used steel or carbon apex seals for my 2006 motor?
Jingyee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=29

Sorry, I'm not knowledgable enough to give you information related to your apex seals.

above is the rotar housing article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> Rebuilding All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: