RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index RotaryEngineIllustrated.com
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rotary engines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> The Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krazzyturk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: rotary engines Reply with quote

heyz can u guys give me information about rotary engines plz
eg. like how they work and when was the first rotary in the world made and stuff like that thanks....
Arawn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary engines Reply with quote

krazzyturk wrote:
eg. like how they work and when was the first rotary in the world made and stuff like that thanks....

Start with http://www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/re101.php and ask questions.

Arawn
krazzyturk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the like m8 but it really didnt help me coz i wanted to find out what was the first rotary engined car in the world
jptg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to google.com and type in "rotary engine history".
Arawn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Little Thing Reply with quote

krazzyturk wrote:
thanks for the like m8 but it really didnt help me coz i wanted to find out what was the first rotary engined car in the world

I think the first successful one was an NSU Motorcycle, but that might just have been a Wankel Supercharger.

Any search engine should tender Rotary Engine History.

Arawn
Blake
Been there, done that

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first automotive application for a rotary engine was the NSU Sport Prinz, with a peripheral port 498cc single-rotor in the trunk. The earliest prototypes were in 1960, with the first show car in 1963 and production in 1964. The first really pratical car was the NSU Ro80, with a twin rotor, peripheral port 1L (996cc) making 115hp. That was, I think, 1967 or so. I rode in one in Germany about 5 years ago and it was a blast. Weird semi-automatic stick shift (no clutch). More lively than a stock 12A 1st gen. The first Mazda with a rotary engine was the 1967 Cosmo 110S, with a 982cc 10A, making about 110hp.

If you snoop through the site diligently, you will find the "bookshelf" with various useful titles, like "Sports Car Color History: Mazda RX-7", where there is plenty of historical information.
TCooperDesigns

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: rotary engines Reply with quote

Arawn wrote:
krazzyturk wrote:

Start with http://www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/re101.php and ask questions.

Arawn

Don't forget that the term 'Rotary Engine' does not apply only to Wankels. Wankels are just one type of rotary engine. Quite a number of early aero engines were ROTARY radials. The entire engine block and cylinders rotated about a stationary crankshaft. These wonderful engines combined the smoothness of rotary operation with the efficiency of a conventional piston and cylinder arrangement - thermally far more efficient that a Wankel.
I doubt that any cars were built using these engines however.

http://www.caligari.com/Gallery/OneManShow/GriffWason/Le-Rhone-80hp.asp?Cate=GOneManShow
http://www.ivyandmartin.demon.co.uk/martinphotos/eng_round_01.htm

In the late 1980s a totally new design of rotary engine, using reciprocating pistons, was designed and successfully run in the UK.
Blake
Been there, done that

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary engines Reply with quote

TCooperDesigns wrote:
Don't forget that the term 'Rotary Engine' does not apply only to Wankels. Wankels are just one type of rotary engine. Quite a number of early aero engines were ROTARY radials. The entire engine block and cylinders rotated about a stationary crankshaft. These wonderful engines combined the smoothness of rotary operation with the efficiency of a conventional piston and cylinder arrangement - thermally far more efficient that a Wankel.
I doubt that any cars were built using these engines however.

http://www.caligari.com/Gallery/OneManShow/GriffWason/Le-Rhone-80hp.asp?Cate=GOneManShow
http://www.ivyandmartin.demon.co.uk/martinphotos/eng_round_01.htm

In the late 1980s a totally new design of rotary engine, using reciprocating pistons, was designed and successfully run in the UK.

Yes, you are right of course. I recently did a US Patent search on "Rotary Engine" and came up with 1,500 patents since 1976. Some of these were rotary valves, and the like, but there were many, many creative variations on internal combustion engines...some trochoid based, others quite bizzare and clever Rube Goldberg devices. And, of course, there is the old radial-style piston engine that goes back to the golden age of flying. I just pulled apart an air-horn compressor the other day and found a vane-type rotary compresspor inside (Item B in figure 1.1, page 1 of Rotary Engine, by Kenichi Yamamoto).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> The Round Table All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: