RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index RotaryEngineIllustrated.com
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Dilution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shrapnel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Oil Dilution Reply with quote

I read a response by Blake to someone with a broken RX-8 some time ago about oil dilution by fuel, which can occur due to flooding. He recommended an immediate oil change, if dilution should occur. However, it seems flooding can relatively easily occur in the RX-8, and its just happened to me - yep there is an increase in the oil level, and a distinct smell of fuel in it when I rub it between my fingers.

Is the fuel likely to work its way out, or evaporate through continued use over time? Or will it just sit there in a diluted state until changed? I know what Blake said before, but it seems a little extreme to go for an oil change every time this occurs, if flooding is a fairly common occurrence. I'll sure do it if I must, but I guess I'm just asking for a confirming update that this is the most appropriate course of action.
Blake
Been there, done that

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Dilution Reply with quote

Shrapnel wrote:
I read a response by Blake to someone with a broken RX-8 some time ago about oil dilution by fuel, which can occur due to flooding. He recommended an immediate oil change, if dilution should occur. However, it seems flooding can relatively easily occur in the RX-8, and its just happened to me - yep there is an increase in the oil level, and a distinct smell of fuel in it when I rub it between my fingers.

Is the fuel likely to work its way out, or evaporate through continued use over time? Or will it just sit there in a diluted state until changed? I know what Blake said before, but it seems a little extreme to go for an oil change every time this occurs, if flooding is a fairly common occurrence. I'll sure do it if I must, but I guess I'm just asking for a confirming update that this is the most appropriate course of action.

What does oil cost vs. the cost of internal bearing damage? Oil is a lubricant and gas is a solvent. The oil will break down and your engine is going to see a lot more wear. No problem if you can get Mazda to replace your engine sometime, but it could take years for problems to develop. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather change the oil every 500 miles than replace the engine once at 50,000 miles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: