RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index RotaryEngineIllustrated.com
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The fuel injector on the Renesis

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> Induction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Eson



Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 7
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: The fuel injector on the Renesis Reply with quote

Why did they place it outside the rotor house and not inside the compression chamber? http://www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/renesis/renesis15popup.jpg
If they had the fuel injected when the compression occurs, the engine would have more air in the chamber because the fuel need space too.
Just look at the hydrogen Renesis:

Im referring to this site: http://www.clean-air.org/Hydrogen%20Cobra%20Story/Hydrogen%20Cobra.htm
under 'Performance' you can read the following state;
Quote:
The theoretical maximum power output from a hydrogen engine depends on the fuel injection method used. This is because hydrogen will displace a large portion of the incoming air, and thus limiting the amount of air that will enter the combustion chamber. For example, the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio for hydrogen 34:1. For this mixture, hydrogen will displace 29% of the combustion chamber, leaving only 71% for the air. As a result, the energy content of this mixture will be 15% less than it would be if the fuel were gasoline (since gasoline is a liquid, it only occupies a very small volume of the combustion chamber, and thus allows more air to enter)(Question). Since both the carbureted and port injection methods mix the fuel and air prior to it entering the combustion chamber, these systems limit the maximum power obtainable to 85%

of that of gasoline engines (rough order of magnitude). For direct injection systems, which mix the fuel with the air after the intake valve has closed (and thus the combustion chamber has 100% air), the maximum output of the engine can be 15% higher than that for gasoline engines (again, rough order of magnitude).


But maybe im wrong Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blake
Been there, done that


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 135
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasoline droplets needs time to mix with and vaporize into the air, to create a uniform air fuel mixture suitable for efficient combustion. And, as that article (not very well written, IMHO) says, gas does not displace much air, so the impact is minimal. Direct injection is also very costly to implement. Hydrogen engines virtually demand direct injection, as otherwise they would displace so much air that power would be significantly compromised.
_________________
Blake Qualley
Pineapple Racing, Inc.
(503) 233-3878
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Eson



Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 7
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rotaryevo



Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Posts: 1
Location: trinidadandtobago

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in veiw of the knowledge that you have on rotary engines.what mods do i have to make to a datson120y before puting in one?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RotaryEngineIllustrated.com Forum Index -> Induction All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group