Rotary Engine Illustrated Community
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LPG and rotary???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rotary Engine Illustrated Community Forum Index -> The Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Visma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: LPG and rotary??? Reply with quote

i dont know whether this question has been asked yet but can a 13B be converted so it runs on LPG? Because at the moment in australia there is a big push for people to convert there cars to LPG because of oil prices and global warming, but i wasnt sure whether rotarys could be done or not?
mindofencryption

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Propane No problem Reply with quote

The combustion of propane in a rotary is not a problem. I however would worry about the lubration of the seals since there is no liquid fuel to mix with the oil injection.
Visma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was researching about LPG it sayed that because it was a gas it didnt mix with the oil in the engine and therefore stopped oil getting burnt on combustion and therefore decreasing engine wear (especially during cold engine starts).

Im not sure whether this is the case in rotary engines?

Another thing is that even though it is possible to convert it is really difficult to find anyone who wants to do it to a rotary... is there main reason for this?
mindofencryption

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: lpg is cool Reply with quote

How oil gets to the different seals I am a little weak on. All I know is that I have recently taken apart 4 different rotaty engines and all of rotary housings have nicks of some sort. Unfortunetly, the housings can not be reworked, just thrown out! I have seen piston engines torn apart after more than 300miles that have run on LPG and there is very little wear. Also, the oil also doesn't get washed down so oil changes are greatly increased.
mindofencryption

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: LPG correction Reply with quote

It should have been 300,000 miles or 300k. Sorry.
Visma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if this seems obvious but im just trying to clear up wot u sayed... are u saying that LPG cars need to have more oil changes?
mindofencryption

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: oil changes Reply with quote

I was pretty vague. How many miles you can go between oil changes increases. There is an indepth book on propane conversions, that has pictures of engines torn down and mentions the oil change intervals. You will lose probably about 20% power. But propane and turbos go together extremely well.

The apex seals get lubed from the gasoline coming into chamber that mixes with the oil injection. There have been several different years/designs of how the oil gets to the apex seals.
Visma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same for piston engines aswell? When i was on the phone with one of the LPG conversion shops they sayed that they wouldnt want to work on a piston engine with a turbo let alone a rotary... because LPG and turbo's dont mix according to them... can all piston and rotary engine be converted to LPG? and is "Liquefied Petroleum Gas" the same as "Propane"? sorry i dont know the american way of saying these words

what is the name of the book?
mindofencryption

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: The book Reply with quote

The propane book title is:

Economy or performance
Propane fuel conversions
For Automotive Engines

By Jay Storer, ISBN 0-931472-12-1
Published by S-A Design

I scanned the book cover and a pg showning supercharged Propaned engines. I couldn't find a way to include the info.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rotary Engine Illustrated Community Forum Index -> The Round Table All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: