Rotary Engine Illustrated Community
This site endeavors to be the best resource on the internet for educational material on the Rotary Engine.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12A timing mark problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rotary Engine Illustrated Community Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamCF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: 12A timing mark problems Reply with quote

I recently started bringing a 1982 GSL back to life for RallyCross.

I have done all the normal replacement of "tune up" parts. cap, rotor, wires, plugs. ect...

Upon checking the timing I find the timing marks are 90 degrees from the area they should be in. I'm following all the manuals instructions. (it's a cheapo Haynes, but I would hope timing checks would be right)

Could this be a blunder on the part of the previous owner?
Like coils switched, pulley bolted on wrong?

I tried to adjust the timing but if I turn it so the marks head for the pin, the engine gets very unhappy. I pretty much knew THAT much off was not gonna be cured by distributor twisting. But I figured I'd give it a try.

It runs really good (but won't pass DEQ), only an occasional misfire, proly should have new coils as well. But I just wanted to check everything I could while I wait for more parts. And wait for the $$$ to get the tranny into Pineapple for new bearings.

The marks are showing up on the drivers (left) side of the engine BTW.

Thanks in advance for any answers. Smile
TeamCF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the coils are all correct. I found the wiring diagram I needed.
I figured it most likely would not run if they were wrong anyway, but being relatively new to these engines I had to be sure.

So, as there are four bolts holding the pulley on, some genius must have bolted it on 90 degrees off. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rotary Engine Illustrated Community Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: